In addition to performing, Joanna Jordan teaches both Piano and Harp and facilitates these seminars/master classes:
- The Joy in Your Heart: How to how fun and develop confidence
- The Real Deal on Being a Professional: -like it says…
- Show Me The Money – Sales & Marketing Techniques
- Goal Setting Workshop
- Computer Geekin’ For T weekin’ Your Promo
- Effective Practice Techniques
- Blues For Youz- How To Play The Blues
- Compose Yourself -Composition Workshop
- A-Chordin’ To The Chart- How To Play Chord Charts/Lead Sheets
- It Don’t Mean A Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing -How To Swing Music
- Improvisational Approaches- How To Improvise
Other Skills I Teach To Support Learning & Performing Music:
- Ear Training
- How To Arrange Music
- How To Transcribe Music
- How To Play By Ear
- How To Practice Less and Get More
- How to Practice to Minimize Stage- Fright
- How To Prepare A Repertoire For Attaining Jobs
- How to Develop a Website
- How To Learn Music -Related Computer Software
Harp and Piano Lessons with Joanna Jordan -Have Fun Learning & Performing Music
What should a teacher do? I once discovered that a teacher is one who inspires. A good teacher helps develop and enrich every student, no matter what ability they arrive with initially. I believe that every person has an unlimited capability to learn music. My purpose in teaching is to bring out the areas that are strong and to find ways to develop the areas that are challenges.
Some accomplishments of my students include; acceptance at the Etobicoke School of the Arts for a student that had been playing the harp for less than a year, a student of two years playing a Harp Concerto with the school orchestra, an adult student performing in concert after only three lessons and a nine year old student performing in concert after only four months of taking harp lessons with me.
Here is a photo of our last Harp Circle:
What is the value of learning music?
- Develop Confidence
- Create Good Habits that will influence other areas of your life
- Develop better motor skills(Improved coordination & the ability to multi-task)
- Enrich your ability to appreciate music
- At first it is a challenge to learn some new skills, but eventually it is so relaxing and refreshing to the soul to play music for yourself and others too!!!
Classical * Jazz * Rock * Blues * Folk * Pop * Hip-Hop * R & B * Country * Bluegrass
PIANO or KEYBOARD
Other skills I teach in private lessons to support learning and performing music:
- EAR TRAINING / THEORY
- HOW TO PLAY A CHORD CHART
- COMPOSE and ARRANGE MUSIC
- TRANSCRIBE MUSIC
- PLAY BY EAR
- PREPARE REPERTOIRE TO MINIMIZE STAGE- FRIGHT
- PREPARE A REPERTOIRE FOR ATTAINING JOBS
- MARKET AND SELL YOURSELF
- DEVELOP A WEBSITE
- LEARN MUSIC SOFTWARE ON MAC OR PC COMPUTERS
- HOW TO PLAY MUSIC ON THE IPAD
Lessons are available near Toronto, located next to the South Etobicoke border in Mississauga and also via Skype.
I look forward to the possibility of teaching you!
BMus, Classical Music: University of Toronto,
BMus Honours, Jazz performance, arranging & composition: Humber College,
Level 6+ :Second City, Concert Artist for the American Harp Society 1998-2000
For many years, Joanna Jordan has had the pleasure of performing before many schools through the Toronto Symphony Education Program, both as a soloist and in duos. She is currently working with the Toronto Symphony Preludes as a duo of Bass and Harp with David Longenecker. Joanna is also avaiable as a soloist.
Here is a brief description of the younger children’s program which is suitable for Junior Kindergarten -Grade 6 (there are several other programs available for Grades 7 & 8 and Grades 9-12 ):
When “Harp Vader” comes face to face with “String -Skywalker,” it isn’t with laser swords in outer space. Their cosmic encounter takes place in concerts with a more exotic instruments- the harp . In addition to the Star Wars parody, the sounds of this instrument will be presented through stories, songs and animal sounds. A musical journey through time around the world will offer both education and lots of laughs.
Participation will be encouraged at several points with some of the younger groups. At the end, things will be summed up with a questions and answer session.
Here are a few PDF sample programs for each age group:
David Longenecker, Bass and Joanna Jordan Concert for the Junior and Senior Kindergarten Classes at Hawthorne Village Public School